Taxicard scheme – update
The London Taxicard Scheme
Taxicard is a scheme for London residents with serious mobility impairments or who are severely sight impaired.
Taxicard offers subsidised travel in licensed taxis and private hire vehicles (mini cabs) to London residents with serious mobility impairments or who are severely sight impaired. It enables members who have difficulty in using buses, trains and tubes to get out and about.
The scheme provides trips for social purposes, for example going shopping, visiting friends and family, and going out to events.
Taxicard is funded by your local council and Transport for London. It is administered on their behalf by London Councils, with CityFleet providing taxis via Computer Cab and private hire vehicles (mini cabs) via a number of private hire companies across London.
Taxicard can be used 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year – subject to the availability of vehicles.
Members always pay a minimum contribution towards the fare. Your local authority and Transport for London (TfL) subsidise your journey up to a maximum amount per trip and you have to pay the balance.
Covid-19 – Taxicard Changes
In light of the current situation with the outbreak of Covid-19 (coronavirus), we have made changes to the London Taxicard scheme to support Taxicard members at this time.
You can now use you Taxicard for:
- Taxicard drivers to pick up and deliver essential supplies for you; and
- Allow friends and family to travel on your behalf using your Taxicard for the same purpose
How this works:
- Make a booking advising you want a collection of pre-bought items from a supermarket, pharmacy or takeaway etc
- Make a booking advising you want a nominated person to use a taxi on your behalf to purchase or collect essential items on your behalf
- All collections have to pre-paid and an order number provided (if applicable) at the time of booking
- You will be given a cost of the journey and you will have to pay your contribution at time of booking using a debit or credit card
Please note that due to the current situation some supermarkets are imposing strict rules around social distancing and limiting the amount of people in store at one time, you will need to book two journeys if someone is doing a shop on your behalf. In these circumstances the driver will not wait while someone shops, and a return journey will have to be booked once the shopping has been completed.
To make a booking call CityFleet on 020 7763 5001
For further information contact London councils by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the borough of Camden has not signed up to be part of this new scheme. If you live in Camden, please get in touch with your sensory team to see if the policy can be reviewed.
Updated 16 April 2020